Re: [NTLK] SER 001

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 04:29:29 EDT

on 10/11/01 4:42 PM, Oliver Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

>> Still, some colleagues are adamant that they need the 'reality' (I'm
>> in philosophy) of paper and hard copy, but to that I just say that there
>> were many people who shared their attitude after Guttenberg invented his
>> little bit of technology.
>=20
> Thought is virtual, keeping it on a "real" medium makes it more factual.
> The power of the written word.
> There is more truth to it than to the spoken one.
> A "virtual" medium as the Newton may cause disturbance in the brains of s=
ome
> people. If so, I think what they miss is reassurance, especially if they =
are
> not 100% convinced about their thoughts after all.

And, in fact, "virtual" can be more real than "real." I'm speaking of those
little bits of information that you write down on a scrap of paper, or mayb=
on a post-it=AE note, and then promply lose in a pile of paperwork, and searc=
for ages for, and can't find, vs, a note that you jot down on the Newton,
and find in mere moments with the "Find" command. Now, which is more
real--the note you wrote on physical paper, but can't find, or the virtual
note you wrote on the Newton, but can find every time you need it, and can
even copy over to, or email to a desktop computer, thereby propagating the
one note into an unlimited number of copies? Give me the Newton any day...
:-)
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net>
<mailto:glasshaus5_at_aol.com>
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation
was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but
on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason peoples of other faiths
have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
--Patrick Henry=20