Re: [NTLK] Follow-up to Newton upgrades

From: Jeremy Wood (woodjd_at_whitman.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 08:31:53 EST

I assume that this upgraade is performed by replacing the memory chips on
the little memory/ram card in the newt. I would think that replacement
memory of that style would be quite expensive and rare. It also takes a
pretty skilled technician with some pretty nice soldering tools to take
such a chip off, and put one back on. A
pretty risky procedure that would leave a good number of dead chips if
done in quanity. So, without some research, I couldn't tell you exactly
how much. I imagine that someone with the right tools could perform such a
service profitably for somewhere on the order of a hundred dollars.
Finding someone who has such tools, and would want to spend ages
soldering, run the risk of dead chips, etc ccould be very difficult. To di
it properly, and minimize success, very expensive soldering equipment is
necessary. Someone who worked for a small electronics firm with nice
tools, a nice boss, and some spare time is what you'd be looking for. And
coincidentilly, I have access to just such resources. However, I don't
think it's worth it.

My personal take on the matter is that a PC card with a hunk of smart
memory that's 128 MB is much more practical. (Thanks to Paul!)

Jeremy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html