[NTLK] Re[2]: Re[2]: Convincing argument against MS

From: Bradford Schmidt (brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 12:02:14 EDT

Tuesday, June 11, 2002, 11:30:41 AM, Laurent wrote:

>> Exactly - just read their policy about supporting the "old" ATI
>> chipset in OS X. The installed base of that chip in powerbooks alone
>> (I'm one of them) is huge. And they just dropped it. So any video in
>> OS X sucks ass on that chip.
>>
>> But hey, isn't this really NEW mac "incredibly cool?"

> Check <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=122010>. Here is an
> excerpt:

> "Application Improvements:
> - Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock.
> - Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox.
> - Support for 2D and QuickTime hardware acceleration for Rage Pro.
> [...]"

> So, apparently, Apple hasn't given up yet on the old chipset...

That's just the Rage Pro - LT not included (wall street, lombard). Go
here to see what they say:

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?type=id&val=106154

WHat's interseting is that the verbiage which now reads further dev
will be "investigated" used to read as follows:

 "Use the latest version of Mac OS X for best overall performance and
 feature set. Further Mac OS X support for the graphic accelerator
 chipsets listed above is not planned."

 These include the ATI RAGE II+, ATI RAGE IIc, ATI RAGE Pro, ATI RAGE
 Pro Turbo, ATI RAGE LT Pro and ATI RAGE Mobility. You can actually
 read the information about this here:

 http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1303.html

 The point is that they dumped on 4-6 million users by not enabling
 hardware acceleration under X - and then changed their tune only when
 a lot of noise was made. It's not the first time Apple has abandoned
 users, either.

 Point is, business is business, and if you start attaching some kind
 of higher goal to a major corporation, you will be dissapointed.

Bradford Schmidt
http://www.bradfordschmidt.com
mailto:brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com