Re: [NTLK] [OT] Football and nationalism

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:25:14 EDT

At 10:51 PM +0200 6/17/02, Joost van de Griek wrote:
>I have a problem with nationalism, and patriotism, too. Proud to be
>American/Canadian/Dutch/German/English/Whatever? How can you be proud of
>something for which you never did anything to achieve it? You didn't work
>very hard to be born, you know...

Joost,

    Now how can you say that? I'm sure that there are plenty of folks
on this list who have served their country in various ways, including
military or governmental service. And by being a good citizens by
voting and other participation in their local and national
governments. Besides, what country would be worth anything without
all of us "little guys" paying taxes? These all contribute to the
success of a country.

    Of course, when nationalism becomes a reason to hate then a line
has been crossed. But as a form of pride of accomplishment, I think
it's a great thing. As for patriotism, without the patriotism of the
founding fathers and many who followed we wouldn't even have a
country here in the U.S.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer