Re: [NTLK] Got a question? Check the FAQ (or somewhere else) - Anywhere other than here.

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 08:15:18 EST

My 2 cents on this topic... A little over a year ago I was a newbie, and
when I finaly found the FAQ I was incredibly happy. Maybe I'm a little
strange, but I check the FAQ every month, I read the changes log and often
reread sections to get re-acquainted with them. I have bookmarked two of
the FAQ mirrors, so I can always get it even if one mirror is temporarily
unavailable.

Personally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the regular monthly
FAQ message, but again, that's just me.

I do have a suggestion, maybe this has been mentioned before. If either a
new section were added to the existing FAQ or a new mini-FAQ were created,
that was written just for newcommers, that might help. It could contain
stuff like, how to connect to a PC and how to connect to a Mac, with links
directly to the appropriate downloads. Links to download the PDF manuals.
Where to find software, again with links directly to UNNA and so on. What
to do if you can't install packages, again with links to Packtype or
whatever. Some of the common questions that are also covered in the rest of
the FAQ.

Then perhaps when someone subscribes to newtontalk, there could be a link in
the welcome message suggesting that if they are new to newton, they can
check the newcommer faq. Or maybe the welcome message already suggests
that, I can't remember.

Anyhow, just some thoughts. I know everyone invovled with the FAQ and the
list are busy, and it's easy to make suggestions for other folks to work on.
I'm busy as well, but I am willing to set aside some time to help out on any
of these things. If my help is wanted, just ask.

-Stephanie
http://www.felesmagus.com/newton/