Re: [NTLK] NIE DNS ethernet problem

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 08:27:52 EST

>From: "Smith, Bradley" <bradley.smith_at_artisansw.com>
>Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:37:54 -0000
>
>My cable service provider will only connect to a particular MAC address. The
>MAC address of your Newton's ethernet card will be different to that of your
>PC / Mac.

I agree, this is likely Vladimir's issue (unless he's called the provider
and added the unique ID of the Newton ethernet card to their "list" for
activation).

One other solution, the cable providers I've read up on, allow you to have
multiple (often 3) NICs enabled at any one time- so you call them and give
them the info for up to 3 computers, and any of those 3 can plug directly
into the cable modem.

Or you can buy a little cable router, set it's MAC address to the one they
already know about, and use whatever you want without having to call them.
They may not "support" the routers (ie, if you can't get your setup to
work, don't expect them to walk you thru router setup) but they don't care
if you use them, rumors in the public venues to the contrary are not based
in fact. :) If you are worried, call and check.

NOTE: NEW EMAIL ADDRESS SOON:  bmcewen_at_comcast.net
The reply-to: field for this email reflects this change.