Re: [NTLK] PT100 and Sun Consoling

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 21:53:11 PDT

-->"Ben" == Ben Rockwood <benr_at_cuddletech.com> writes:

  Ben> Can I use the included serial cable and just toss a null modem
  Ben> adapter on it?

i've used my newt as a serial console before. depending on the
particular machine, the cable might work as is, or via a null-modem
adaptor. i normally use a breakout box and hack to suit (esp for
CTS/RTS, DSR/DTR, etc).

  Ben> I'm also curious if there is a way to do direct serial from the
  Ben> newton without using the onboard serial adapter, or if I can
  Ben> use multiple serial devices... primarily so I can use my Newton
  Ben> Keyboard with a console.

socket communications make single and double serial port PCMCIA cards
that work with the newton. these were widely used when developing
comms software, since it allows you to test the inbuilt serial port
while maintaining a debugger connection.

  http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp
  http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0703-081.asp

sadly, they're not cheap :-( ie. USD150!

  Ben> Are there any people do this actively who can help?

i haven't done it for a while, but i'm sure there's enough expertise
on the list to get you going ...