Re: [NTLK] Install packages with Jaguar & Ethernet

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 06:51:12 PST

Il me semble que le 1/4/03 à 10:58 -0300, Luiz Petroni nous racontait:
>Researching in the archives I also found a app called Packager v1.3,
>but when I drag&drop a package on it I don't get any results (I also
>suppose) because the package still associated with MacOS X Installer
>and the package's icon stay with something like an open box.
>
>Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure Laurent is right.
This error is not related to the file type.

Delivery detects your packages as such and it will probably include a
technology developed by Michael for next release of Packager that
even better detects Newton packages as such (we finally decided to
not introduce a new suffix). The open box icon is MacOS X's installer
packages icon and is caused by MacOS X stupidity in dealing with
(read: ignoring) meta-data, please ignore it. Apparently, Apple is
correcting their first NeXTian views on this subject.
Anyway, Packager 1.3 works, you have the default icon because you
don't have NCU or NPI installed on your machine (or the MacOS 9
Desktop DB needs to be rebuilt). Packager 2.0 will let you use
Delivery's own creator code with its nice 128x128 icons.

I can see two causes of the problem: a bug or a conflict of your
package with the installed packages on your Newton or a data
corruption that affects your package. To know what's going on, please
install BugTrap from tactile (ftp://ftp.tactile.com/pub/), tell it to
trap exception within try blocks and install the package. A report
will be sent to your Notepad mentionning where the package activation
actually failed. If you send it on the list, we'll know more about
your issue.

I don't say that Delivery is completely bug-free. In fact, few users
reported issues when we released it in Februrary. This is because the
framework inside Delivery, the Desktop Connection Library, was
designed in the days where CPU usage didn't really count, and the DCL
could then be used in either a thread safe environment or a
cooperative threading environment. I discovered few hours before the
release that Cocoa wasn't thread safe (the Cocoa expert is rather
Nicolas) and the ObjC <-> C++ interface that was designed introduced
many problems. This has been fixed recently with a new ObjC <-> C++
interface and the DCL has been heavily threadified to use as less CPU
as possible. We're still debugging this new part.

Please give us some time as Nicolas and I still have some second
semester papers and Michael now has a full-time job, and I have to
release ATA Support RC6. Native OS X backups are not that far away,
nevertheless.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/