Re: [NTLK] Install packages with Jaguar & Ethernet

From: Luiz Petroni (lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:00:21 PST

Thanks for the reply Paul:

> Anyway, Packager 1.3 works, you have the default icon because you
> don't have NCU or NPI installed on your machine (or the MacOS 9
> Desktop DB needs to be rebuilt).
I'm sure that Packager works because I read the archives prior to post,
but I was in doubt if it would require some additional steps or other
apps installed. If I install NCU under MacOS 9 will Packager also
change the icon of my packages or is better to do it manually?

> Packager 2.0 will let you use
> Delivery's own creator code with its nice 128x128 icons.

The future ability to detect Newton packages (without suffix) and also
change the default MacOS X Installer icon to a custom Devilery icon are
really great news.

> I can see two causes of the problem: a bug or a conflict of your
> package with the installed packages on your Newton or a data
> corruption that affects your package. To know what's going on, please
> install BugTrap from tactile (ftp://ftp.tactile.com/pub/), tell it to
> trap exception within try blocks and install the package. A report
> will be sent to your Notepad mentionning where the package activation
> actually failed. If you send it on the list, we'll know more about
> your issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it and post a report.
I will also copy the exactly message that is displayed when activation
fails.

> Please give us some time as Nicolas and I still have some second
> semester papers and Michael now has a full-time job, and I have to
> release ATA Support RC6. Native OS X backups are not that far away,
> nevertheless.

More exciting news! Please take all the necessary time.
I'm sure that it will worth the wait.

--lpetroni

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html