Re: [NTLK] eMate / MessagePad progress report...

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 09:02:49 PDT

Matt wrote:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:48:30 EDT

>One of my recently-acquired eMates came with the memory upgrade card, but
>the
>card does not seem to work. I tried cleaning the electrical contacts with
>rubbing alcohol, replacing the card, even switching the two cards with
>their
>respective card slots. :O( Any ideas?

NO NO NO! it is not advisable to switch the two cards between their
respective slots!!!
(With the handle on top facing the back of the eMate)
The left is a memory upgrade -the right is the ROM.
This could cause damage! if you are actually switching the cards back and
forth.

Note: I purchased extra memory upgrades from Rochester Computer and after
careful examination found that the two new cards I got did not have the
Newer Tech silkscreened on the card. However the Revision is listed as 'REV
D'. and there was a label which I will assume is the serial number of the
board stuck to it like all the cards I have with Newer Tech silkscreened.

Now I stuck it (both new boards) into my eMate and oh my it did not power.
:(
When I stuck it into the other eMate that too would not boot.
Now I stuck the workingmemory upgrade cards back in and the unit seems to
not boot up. ):( (is this correct I was frustrated and worried) Then after
fiddling around for awhile (with the non-functioning card installed) I
decided to do a hard reset. I held the reset, then held the power for about
10 seconds, released the reset and hoeld the power till the unit restarted.
It took awhile (and make sure the contrast is somewhere in the middle).

Hopefully this will help youas this did the job of getting the boards to
function. It took a few tries till I got the exact combo to work so both
cards functioned...

>Now, I have a nice Newton MP 2100 case to replace the cracked on my current
>Newt. I'm eyeing my can of yellow Krylon Fusion paint (made for plastic
>surfaces), debating whether to paint the case or not. Maybe I'll give it a
>bit of
>an eyePod look.

Do you need the damaged case? I need one to cut up if you wouldn't mind send
it my way.

>I have started the laborious process of scanning the hard copy user manual
>for the "Writer's Toolkit" {for the eMate}. It will take a while, but I'll
>get
>it done.

Again, thank you for this effort as I have followed your efforts thru the
various threads.

>I am so sick of being unemployed. Well, at least this keeps me from
>shooting
>squirrels from the bathroom window...for now...

I understand, I got laid off too - three months after my daughter was born.

(OT - Hold your ears incase this is too much for you!) Please send me your
birthdate as I will pray that you will get a job by then! (Can't say that
this will work but,...) My wife did so after hearing a story on the radio
and I got hired shortly afterwards and the start date was my birthday - if
you're married I would ask that your wife do this - if not then your family
or both!

I was out of a full time job for over a year! Someone upstairs in looking
out for you - but the timing and situation is determined by Him!

Sonny
the Hung Family!