Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 13:49:56 EST

Larry Zasitko wrote:

> around and all love the screen size even if it is only black and white.

bzzzt grey scale ;-) you got, count em, 16 levels there buddy.

which with a little bit of work and some selective choices could be used
to drive a color screen.

william

I'm sitting here with data that goes back to ummm 97? stuff I've never
bothered to erase, like what was I doing on this date back in 1998. ahhh
I was writing up researching documentation management requirements and
preparing an rfq at Duetsche Bank in Ny. I got into work at 0900 and
worked until 2051 (9AM until 8:51PM)

so now I know that when I need to redo that same process I will go look
in my notes from that project and I can reuse some of that same
material. very helpful if you work in consulting and you need to do
things like repeat work for another customer, bill your time, bill your
expenses, and take notes in a meeting. I write on my newt like a piece
of paper and it doesn't bother anyone. I can also just turn on the mic
and record the meeting.

the closest thing to a newt would be one of those new mac tablets. lets
see I own the newt i have to buy the table. hmmmmm

oh and the newt is 1/3rd the size of my 12'powerbook (the only reason
I've not considered (for long) to replace the powerbook)

I love the 12' pb the 13 is to awkward of a shape. tho I never thought
I'd really care for the smaller size it's been great to take to the
library and to sit outside (in the summer;-) and do work.

but if the requirements have been placed on you by outside forces then
you need to obtain something that meet their requirements. if what you
need is something to augment your pc (or mac) without having to carry it
around then yes you want something other than a newt.

my newt is an extension of my brain not my computer (pc or mac) i have a
poor sense of time and it remembers mundane things for me without the
cost entailed in hiring a secretary. because that is what it replaces, a
secretary to remind me of 'stuff' and keep notes long after I may have
needed them.

hmmm a newt like device with gps and a phone built in would be an
excellent idea for someone with Alzheimer's. to keep track of then and
remind them of 'stuff'

william