Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN alpha3 driver issues

From: Jesse Garnier (lists_at_stonehopper.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 17:59:42 EST

Filmer, Paul E. wrote not long ago (4/1/02 5:31 PM):

> Now that a3 is out, it is not clear whether you need a1/a2/a3 all installed,
> or just two of them, and if so, which two, or a3 only.

Only a3 needs to be loaded to function properly.

> (For the record, the card is recognized with all three installed. I do not
> have a base station or a way to get the second card working in my desktop
> (have to wait a bit for that...). But I was sniffing for other base
> stations that I know are around here...)

This probably won't work since the network name needs to be set to 'Newton'
at the base-station level, so unless somehow an existing network is named
'Newton' at your place, the driver won't work.

> Second, most of the recipes were for the original a1 or a2 AppleTalk cxn ->
> but TCP/IP was not possible. Does a3 make this possible, or was this an NIE
> issue?

AppleTalk and TCP/IP both work with this driver. I've had more consistent
performance with TCP/IP than AppleTalk, in fact.

> Has anyone used an Access Point vs. Base Station?

Hmm. I've always considered them to be two different terms for the same
thing. Is there something more specific you're trying to find out that I'm
not understanding?

--Jesse