Re: [NTLK] Newton OS porting

From: Will Leingang (will.leingang_at_navpress.com)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 17:07:38 EST

> =C0 (At) 14:09 -0700 26/12/02, Will Leingang =E9crivait (wrote) :
> >There are a few people however that are working on a VM to port the=20
> >Newton OS to a Pocket PC, I wouldn't get too excited about it=20
> >though. Briefly, the new OS would run on a linux kernel, that would=20
> >in turn load various elements of the Newton OS, such as Rosetta, or=20
> >Soup.
>=20
> Really? Where have you heard about this?

Hi Paul,

This is a continuation of the gnuton project, but I've been doing most =
of
the development myself thus far. It's been a hobby project along with =
most
of the embedded development that I do. Previously, I tried getting =
linux
running on the Newton as a native OS, but it really isn't feasible. Why
would you want to put Linux on a perfectly good Newton? Then, after a =
few
conversations in this group, it was sort of agreed upon that it's the =
Newton
OS that makes the Newton great, why not maintain various elements, and
integrate them into a newton linux distro? I've been working on porting
various Newton packages to C++ and have been actively working on a VM =
spec
to run the Newton on an i386. Next stop, finding/building a usable =
kernel...
Like I said before, there's not much to show for as far as a working =
system,
but you'll know when there is.

Will

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html