Re: [NTLK] [OT] Looking for cheap ISP - UUNET ain't it...(IS TOO :)

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 21:39:29 EST

>I posted an inquiry on the uunet/WorldCom site and got this response:
> Thank you for contacting WorldCom.
> At this time, WorldCom does not offer Internet Access for the typical
> home user. If you are a very heavy user and are interested in a
> dedicated line, such as a fractional or full T1, then please call
> 800-488-6383.

Actually, UUNET *is* it- at least the best solution I've researched.

You have to get past the front-line phone/email person. Their stock
response is, "we are for corporations, not home use". And face it, the
service they offer would confuse most home users. Especially if you need
to use your own SMTP/POP3 servers (outside of uunet). Remember the average
user is not one of *us*.

Then you get to a representative who knows what they are talking about, and
they have $20/month for 150 hours for domestic US and global access numbers
(you can use the whole planetary uunet backbone). Cheapest is $10/month
for 10 hours. Granted not suitable for dedicated home surfing for some
(although I'm sure my parents don't come close to 150 hrs for the $22 they
pay AOL for "unlimited use" 56k) but perfect for city-hopping or global
Newton users who just want PPP for emailing.

There is a startup fee of $25; then it's a month-by month contract.

The rep I spoke and emailed with, said that I could set up an account
($25+$10) and if I stopped it for some months, activated it again for other
months, he could waive additional $25 fees and I'd just have the $10 for
the months I wanted the service. The "waiver" part may or may not be
something we could count on long-term (my statement, not his- just because
policies can change).

Email Chris Loftus at <cloftis_at_UU.NET> or call him at 1-800-488-6384
option 6 then extension 66526. He was happy when I asked about posting to
Newtontalk with 1300 potential "nibblers", if not customers; tell him I
sent you :)

The pdf he will email you is "WorldComSoloAgreement" and there are
intermediate pricings from $10 to $20/month, on a month to month basis, for
analog dialups to the global uu.net backbone. 128k ISDN too (same price)
if that matters to some, for other uses.

A wise thing to do would be to check www.uunet.net for their local dialup
numbers (they call them POP (points of presence); but they have lots even
in small US cities, and a very respectable amount of coverage
internationally.

They seem to work fine with the Newton, as far as I can tell- I've tested
several of their domestic US numbers. I don't know if getting an account
would also give you a uu.net mailing address, but I'm pretty sure not; if I
hear otherwise, I'll post about it- I just sent an email to ask.

Brian