Re: [NTLK] best browser?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 01:41:09 EST

I guess your idea of a "best browser" is basically
identified by what you can "put up" with!
I run Nethopper 3.2 because I don't do much browsing
with the Newt and can put up with it's limitations.
All I ever use it for is simple text retrieval and
installing packages from my Newton site:
http://newton.tek-ed.com
The biggest problem with NetHopper is that it is no
longer being developed. That means that whatever was
HTTP standard in 1997 is all you're going to get with
NetHopper. For instance, Nethopper adheres strictly to
HTTP1.0 constraints! This means that you cannot view
frames, you cannot view tables, you cannot accept
cookies, and you cannot access websites that rely on
HTTP redirects. Also, it has problems with Cascading
Style Sheets, and it will not play any kind of
multi-media at all, and there is no hope of it ever
doing so. Plus, it can only display GIF images, No
JPGs and no PNGs. It's advantages? Well, it's free!
and it's really fast (fast is a relative term, but for
a Newt, it's fast!)
Now, If I wanted to read my Yahoo mail account on my
Newt, then obviously Nethopper wouldn't work (doesn't
accept cookies) NewtScape, on the otherhand, does!
Now, I haven't played with it, so everything I say
here is heresay, but I hear that the Newtscape
interface takes a little getting used to, and it tends
to be a little slower than NetHopper. But it's
advantages are that it can also be used as a JPG image
viewer, it also can create newton books off of the
pages you are reading, it can also accept plugins
(I've been told that it can also interpret Java, if
the Java code constrains to WABA and WABA is installed
on your Newt as well. Plus it takes plugins, and it is
being activly developed. Meaning if you have a
particular need, make the suggestion and it won't fall
on deaf ears)
So, I'm sure that there are other differences, but
that's all I can think of right now. You have the
information, now you can make an educated decision.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Woo Lee <vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> =09Some apps. need a lot of heap. Freeze what you
> can.
> =09Also make sure you have enough storage space.
> =09Try using internal storage instead of card to
> cache.
> =09Some websites don't do too well with NetHop.3.2
> or even Newtscape2.1e. =
> The sites have too much stuff to render.
> =09Try a different access number. My ISP has six
> dial-up numbers in my =
> area.
> =09Try a faster modem and/or string.
>
> =09I use NetHop.3.2 for simple sites. Newtscape2.1e
> for complex sites =
> that want 'cookies'.
> =2E..btw, it helps to have an accelerated Newt. :-o
> ------------------
> >I've been toying with NetHopper 3 on my 2100, but
> it seems to take 3
> >minutes+ searching/connecting to google, w/o
> downloading anything.

> !ooW %-)
> Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -