Re: [NTLK] Sharing DSL Connection

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 19:44:35 PDT

on 03/09/02 21:56, Brian Carstensen at reggie.lives_at_netzero.com wrote:

> Hello there. I've been messing with this for a great long time now, but
> nothing I've tried works and I'm getting too frustrated to keep at it.
> There are two computers in my house sharing a DSL internet connection
> through an ethernet hub. I want to get my Newton on the internet, but
> I've read that it will never support PPPoE. This makes me sad. :(
>
> My Newton 2k is connected to the network through the IC port into an
> AsanteTalk box. Right now it can connect to a my dad's Mac running OS 9
> and NCU, though it seems to have some trouble, probably because of the
> cable lengths. This works for installing packages, but I'd rather use
> FTP to install packages from my G4 running OS X.
>
> Basically what I'm asking is how can I share an internet connection in
> OS X with a Newton through an AsanteTalk box over Ethernet? Thank you
> very much for reading. :)

Brian,

Since you've been messing around this for some time, why not makes you life
easier? Get a cheap, compatible Ethernet card for your Newton (some are
selling for around $20 USD), and get a cable/DSL router for about $60 USD.
The router will negotiate the PPPoP connection and will act as router for
the computers on your network. I think you can share an Ethernet connection
over LocalTalk using MacIP, but it requires an old Apple software that won't
run natively on OS X, and is hard to find.

If you feel like spending isn't too much of a problem, then get a 3rd party
AirPort compatible card for your 2K and get a wireless cable/DSL router. Be
warned that the current version of the Wavelan/AirPort driver for the Newton
is not always reliable when transferring large amount of data, like large
packages. I've just tried to restore a 400 KB package with my Lucent ORiNOCO
Silver card, and the connection was dropped twice. Went back with my
Farallon EtherWave and transferred the package at my first attempt...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
copy protection n.: A class of methods for preventing incompetent pirates
from stealing software and legitimate customers from using it. Considered
silly.