[NTLK] [OT] suggestions for a GSM phone with IrDA

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 09:07:18 PST

Hey guys,

I'm seriously looking at replacing my current cell phone with something that
actually has the features that I want. (How does that paradigm go?
Something like "Fast, cheap, reliable. Choose any two.") FYI, I live in
Canada and am on a GSM (Rogers) network. I'm not interested in switching
systems, so TDMA/CDMA phones need not apply.

Aneeeways, I'm currently in love with using IrDA via Neo-Nitro-IC/VC, so I
really want a phone that I can use to do IrCOMM with the Newton for mobile
data access. Also for connecting to my PC so I can get my numbers from the
phone to the Newton and vice-versa.

Alternately, a PCMCIA data card would be neat as well. Rogers (my provider)
offers the Sierra Wireless AirCard 750, which can also be used for voice
calls with a headset, but I'm not sure that it would be Newton-compatible as
it seems to require some heavy PC-side software. The card seems to have two
modes of operation: one via standard AT commands and one proprietary.

So if you guys and gals have suggestions for me, reply! It doesn't have to
be hardware that is available new. Or if you think that you've got something
that I might be interested in, mail me *off the list*.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html