Re: [NTLK] IR Adapters

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 07:27:19 PST

The cable trick you intend to do sounds nice, but be warned that this does
not work if you simply use a gender changer inbetween:
both cables are intended to connect the Newt with a PC or Mac respectively,
that means in both cables the Receive lines are crossed with the Transmit
lines in order to let the PC/Mac RECEIVE what the Newt is going to TRANSMIT
and vice versa.
The pin allocation for so called DTE (i.e. computers) serial interfaces is
such that you need the above mentioned crossing to connect DTE with DTE. The
pin assignment of MODEMS (DCE)is different. In this case you need a cable
which is wired 1:1.
Since your Newt is considered to be an DTE, it requires a crossed connection
to PC/Mac.
NOW COMES the trick: if you connect to crossed DTE-DTE cables together you
get rid of the crossed lines and have a 1:1 connection at the end.
Because of the a.m. reasons this will not work.
What you need to do the trick is a so called 0-modem adaptor, which adds the
required third crossing ...

Instead of using a Mac to Newt interconnect cable I would recommend to use a
standard Mac serial cable, which is normally a MODEM-cable and has no
crossed wires.
But of course you can cut one of the DB9 connectors and put a new one (but
male), connecting the wires such that you have no crossed wires.

You should be able to find the standard RS-232 pin assignment for DB-9 in
the internet.

Regards
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html