[NTLK] Internal Store Memory Management - help

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 02:13:34 PST

Hi List

I do not understand how you all can use your Newtons for so much
without having the problem I have: no space on Internal. Today I
could not install the demo version of the ATA driver because of too
little space. Have just received a PIMCIA adapter for a Kodak Flash
Card I have, and I was hoping that would help storage problems....

I have essentially _nothing_ on internal:

Unfiled
InOut; Dock; NewtSync; Clock; Card; TimeZones;Prefs; OwnerInfo;
Calls; SoupSweep; Calculator; Kryds i Kalenderen (Danish Hollidays,
copy protected and only 9k); Styles; Assist; Nethopper; proCalcEx
(rpn calculator); Names, Formula; Notes; Dates; HeapCheck; and that's
it! All mostly built in.

Then Extensions
Drivers and NIE-stuff

Setup
Internet Setup takes 137k... - Don't you all have that?

And finally Storage which of course must be the problem
159k Dates: Is that a lot? I have everything since I got the little
green - any thoughts for archiving?
173k Names. All internal. Is that high? I could clean up a bunch of
that, but it would take forever.
567k Notes: This is high. Again, dating back to 1997. It is because
of them I use my Newton, getting rid of them is out of the question.
I file big draw-notes on the card, but should move some internal
stuff, I quess. Any suggestions? Any way I can select all notes with
ceratin characteristics and file those in a batch?

So, any thoughts on how I should move things around to I can still
access my information? I have a 4 Mb card where I have most apps with
their associated files (am still working on filing Leverage files
correctly), and a 10 MB card with my backup and books. That still has
space, but I've been reluctant to put essential stuff on it because
of the 4Mb limit initially imposed on card size. And it is the one I
pull out when I want to use my ethernet card which I got to work
yesterday (yey!! Three drivers.. .but only 2-3k each).

And then, when I look at for instance Nethopper Cache, it uses some k
on internal, some more on one of the cards and yet more on the second
card. How is that controlled? I can delete all of that, but what
happens next time I use Nethopper (although I use it very rarely)?

How does this compare to you other users?
Suggestions wellcome.
Berthe

--
Berthe