Re: [NTLK] eMate disassembly - do I *have* to de-solder?/my emate just came

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 14:01:02 PDT

>I was just perusing Frank's excellent eMate disassembly instructions at
><http://www.pda-soft.de> when I realize that they involve desoldering some
>wires from the motherboard. I thought "I can barely keep from burning my
>house down when I plug the soldering iron in, is there any way I can get
>around this?"
>
>After some searching I realize I wasn't the only one to realize this:
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=104828433116215&w=2
>
>However, the solder-less instructions elude me.
>
>So I ask y'all... is it totally necessary to desolder the speaker wires and
>backlight wires? Is there enough slack to move the MLB out of the way so I
>can get to the hinge springs and oil and washer them?

Yes I ordered my emate from Rodchester last friday and upon going through
Frank's instructions I realized that you need to desolder.....which is not
something I am ready to trust on a emate. So if you find out how to do it
without desoldering let me know.

But on to the condition of the emate. Screen looks perfect and I suspect
there is a screen protector on it (the Barrier) but not sure as the surface
is a little textured like the old Barrier's were. Does the emate normally
have a little texture, or is the screen just like a MP2000 very shiny and
reflective?

The case does not have any marks on it other than a couple of "glue" marks
from old "property of" labels I suspect. This one does not have the memory
upgrade. The power supply works that it came with BUT the battery does not
hold a charge at all (I am a little disappointed in that). The PC card port
works as this emate was PIN protected, and the interesting thing is
Battering Ram Pro didn't work! Battering ram fired up and made the part of
the screen with the number pad go into the trash can, but then nothing else.
I the newton start up screen with the name of the preivous owner would not
change. So I finally gave up and brain wiped it (proably should have done a
backup and restore without system info.......but I wanted to see if it
worked lol).

Sooo it looks like I am in the market for a emate battery.

BTW-Victor make sure you have a the right size Torx bit/screwdirver. I have
several and in 17 years of taking computers appart I never ran into a bit I
couldn't remove...till now. Appranetly I am lacking a T-8 bit (thought I
was going to check to see if the battery got disconnected tonight....heh
guess not till I get a T-8 bit).

-Dan