Re: [NTLK] PC Serial Connection Problems with 2100

From: Paul Dunford (pauldunfordnyc_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 11:15:01 PST

> Well first unless you are exceptional at small scale soldering and have
> the proper tools, if your Newton Interconnect port is bad you can't fix
> it. People that have actually fixed them is rare and only lasts for
> awhile. The problem is the port itself is not built well and eventually
> will fail, and once it does most people feel that it is not worth it to
> fix (like I said unless you are a PRO at small scale soldering).

I certainly understand my limitations, and small scale soldering is
DEFINITELY outside of my abilities! I was just wondering if something might
have been jogged loose and could be plugged in again. I am assuming that
the myriad tiny wires in the interconnect slot must be very easy to snap.
Probably wouldn't even be able to tell!

> The only possible way around this without someone installing the
> packages on a card and seinding you that,(and other than installing a
> SER-001 board) is to use a modem to modem transfer. Check
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MODEMtoMODEM for details on
> this method.

I do have one of those black "cigarette pack" modems from my 120. I will
give it a try, but if it IS my port as opposed to my dongle then I imagine
I'll be up against the same problem. But I am more than willing to
experiment!

Thanks -

Paul Dunford