Re: [NTLK] Mac or PC - Try it!

From: Andy Galluzzi (agalluzzi_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 06:15:13 PDT

As a conclusion, Windows users don't understand Mac users and vice
versa, right? lol ..

It looks like a very convenient situation for Mac, be the same the
hardware developer and the software developer. Windows has to deal with
far more hardware than Mac. Sometime I ask somenthing and Mac users tell
me that the do not power off it's mac, days are they on and running (or
sleeping). Well.. is not somenthing exclusive for a mac, I don't turn
off my computer for days too, and Windows is still working as if i just
turn on. As a Windows developer, I know how bad was a time in the
windows computing, and everybody wanna go to somenthing else than just a
Windows box. In germany this movement was really big and a lot of people
start using Linux as it's desktop computer. It's not casual that SuSE is
a german firm, and one of the biggest linux distro. But this black age
was real for Apple too, as far as a I know. It's very recentry that we
can see some more mature operating systems over there. Windows XP is
amazing, I haven't see it hanging one time in all the time I'm using it.
Keep in mind that as a developer I use a *HUGE* amount of system
resources, taking the OS to the limit, and never stop responding. Also
in the factory's I was, every process automation was controlled by a
Windows computer, not a Mac. Also, in some points, lower level process
work with QNX.

As you see, I know somenthing from Windows, and almost nothing from Mac.
But think on this. In the factory, when they need a time-critical OS,
they use QNX, because it is an OS made for that. So, if you need a small
car, you'll don't gonna buy a Land Rover. *nix is the answer for big
business critical servers, but that doesn't mean that you'll have to buy
a Mac to make that server up and running, you can just use Linux on an
Intel PC. Also tecnologically, the G5 processor is more than what a PC
user can dream.

My wish with this mail is to show that Windows is now as mature as OS X
(or more), and you'll see that Windows users are happy now. Yeah, I know
that security inssues, but that's somenthing one is exposed when one go
with the most of the people. Most of the time, nothing happens, and one
half while one half of the world has it home pc directly connected to
the internet, the other half use a coyote linux or somenthing that allow
him to share it. Of course, with Windows you can share your internet
connection, but you don't want to be remembered because somenone's
connection shut down when you restart your computer for somenthing.

Also, I think one have to try. Go to one friend house, that has a Mac
and ask about it, and use it, and think how it can solve your problems.
Go to another friend (because the other was a Mac fan, and now you need
a Windows fan), ask about it's Windows, use it, and think how it can
solve your problems. If you are still unhappy, go to a Linux fan
house... a BeOS fan... somewhere over there somebody has the same
problem, and a really good solution for it.

Best regards,
Andy.