Re: [NTLK] Survey - Newton and midi

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 01:33:21 PDT

> Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:14:18 -0400
> From: David Abramowitz <david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Survey - Newton and midi
>
> On Apr 9, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Adriano wrote:
>> Questions:
>> - Can the NewtonOS handle and manage midi files?
>> - Did ever exist a audio software for the NewtonOS capable of
>> driving
>> midi files (i.e. a BinHexer for midi) ?
>> - Do anyone have a point onto developing a software for it?

Adriano,

don't get me started! ;=} Short on time now, but I have a couple ideas,
and I've tried for quite a while to drag some developers into this
field. Basically, I think the whole Newton thing could get a nice boost
if musicians could get more out of the Newton -- which naturally isn't
easy with MP 2k, as there are no line-in and -out preinstalled. There
are people who will add these for you, though, and I understand there
may be other options just around the corner... ;=}

Let's discuss this bc when our other project is completed, okay?

> NR404
> Though technically not MIDI, it is a cool drum machine which may spring
> other ideas into your head...
>
> It's in UNNA: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/applications/NR404

Yes, this is great fun! Too bad it ain't polyphonic... also you can't
save separate drum patterns... neither can you load drum banks... still
a fun gimmick that gives one a lot of ideas in the "Ah, if only..."
department... I'd tried to get hold of the source, so the coders could
take a stab at it, but the guys who'd written it apparently don't have
the sources anymore...

Another funny audio toy is ScratchPad 2.0 by Matt Spolin, see my post
http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2003-10/0851.html .
Couldn't get hold of Matt when I tried to find the sources. -- The
AMUG-link I'd posted back then is dead, could find it on a mirror,
either, so I've put it up at
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/_Audio/
ScratchPad%202.0%20(NOS%201.x,%202.x) . Enjoy!

DJV.