Re: [NTLK] SonyEricsson/Newton

From: Pascal (cyberdog_at_attglobal.net)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 14:47:37 PDT

Les wrote:

> Some NTLK.s were playing around with their P9x0 devices some time back.
> Care to share your experiences/impressions?
> I don't think it really (can) competes head on with the Newton. From what=
> gather so far from reviews, just a handy well constructed all-in-one
> PIM/phone.
> thanks

I am using the Sony Ericsson P900 for about a year now. It has become my
main "pocket instrument". Not too big, not too heavy, but still a very
powerful package.

The phone is excellent, and I really do love the flexibility of being able
to send/fetch email over GPRS wherever such coverage exists, including via
GPRS roaming.

I am not complaining about battery life. Though the phone is quite well
used, mostly for phoning (after all, it IS a phone) and emails.

The addressbook works very well. I don't use the agenda since I still prefe=
the old -fashioned paper ones.

Handwriting recognization =E0 la Graffiti is not my thing since I don't want
to adapt my writing to a machine, it should be the other way round. So, I a=
using the virtual keyboard (on screen) when I have to type an email. Not to=
pleasant, but doable for shorter messages. The small keyboard on the inside
flap of the latest P910 seems like a joke to me: way too small buttons to b=
useful.

A couple of gripes:

- when you use external headset, there is no way that you can choose to hav=
the phone ring or not. Meaning: if you use a headset, the ringing is only
heard in the headset. Not very practical.

- syncing under Windows is much better than with MacOS X. I have been
struggling to connect the phone to my PowerBook G4 over Bluetooth. Still no=
very reliable.
Under Windows you can also link with USB, infrared and Bluetooth. With Mac,
the only option is Bluetooth (USB does not work, and infrared has
disappeared on recent Powerbooks).
Plus there are functions other than syncing which are not possible with Mac
(like backup).

All in all, a very promising line of phones.

Pascal