[NTLK] Best Practices for Newton Battery

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 05:07:06 PDT

Just curious what everyone else is using for their battery power in
their 2x00's.

I started out using copper-top Durecells which seem adequate. I would
not consider myself a "heavy" time user on my Newton. I just switch on
my Newton when I need it, then switch it right back off to conserve
power. I do admit that I almost always (unless I'm outside in the sun)
use my backlight, in fact have the backlight to default on when I power up.

Recently I ordered a "brand new" Newton rechargeable Nickle-metalhydryde
[sp] battery pack labeled "Newton Rechargeable Battery Pack" on the edge
of the pack. It's labeled =A9 copyright 1998 Apple Computer. Model HO163.
I figured if nothing else using a "rechargeable" battery is more
environmentally "correct" than using disposable non-rechargeable
batteries. I full realize that in all probability the Apple
rechargeable must have been manufactured in 1998 or thereabouts, based
on if nothing else the copyright date on the label. Therefore even
though "new" in the sense that I am the first one to use it, this
battery has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 6-7 years or so. Now
it's getting used by me and I'm trying to "train" it as the instructions
suggest, but full charging, then allowing it to fully exhaust, then re-
full-charging again, for two-three cycles as the directions suggest.

=46or some reason, and this may have been alluded to in the instructions
that Apple shipped with the battery which I threw out, mistake, duh,
sometimes when I power on my Newton I get the warning that says "Your
batter is almost dead and needs to be recharged". But, then if I go to
extras and tap on view the battery condition bar it's about 3/4 full charge.

So this begs the question, why would the Newton say the battery is
almost dead sometimes upon start-up, but then indicate almost a full
charge in the extras display=3F Is this just part of the "training"
routine that any new rechargeable Newton battery normally goes through,
i.e., saying dead in one place and saying 3/4 charge in another=3F

I don't expect to be getting 100% efficacy out of this now antique
battery pack even though I'm the first one to use it (had to even peel
off the protective plastic shield, got the battery in the original box
with all the original paperwork) but sill, wondering why the
contradiction in battery status feedback. My [very limited]
understanding is that the status is measure by the "temperature" of the
batteries! Odd, but guess this works or they would not have used
temperature as the gauge.

Yes, sorry, I realize I think too much ;-)

Not worried, just wondering.

=46ailure is human. To pick up and start again is divine. This is how we
learn. Just remember to get up ;-)