Re: [NTLK] New user question about CF cards

From: <jabberwock_at_poetic.com>
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 01:27:25 EST

> > Surly the price of the software should reflect what its worth to a
> > customer? I'm
> > sure a programmer would value his software much higher.
>
> Not really. The price should reflect what the seller wants for it. Whether or
> not the (prospective) customer wishes to pay that price, is up to him.

This is a fascinating OT discussion. For some reason it reminds me of a joke in which a man in a restaurant complains long and loud about the poor quality of the food. After an interminable rant to the waiter, the customer adds; "and the servings were too small!"

Normally a system of free trade allows sellers & buyers to agree upon a price. The price is based upon supply and demand. We are in a strange market where there is only one supplier and a handful of buyers. The demand varies among the potential buyers as they consider their budget, the utility of their ageing MP and perhaps matters of principle (I'm not gonna pay more than $xxx dammit!).

We haven't heard anything from the seller lately, but consider this: the supply is infinite! He can make as many copies as he wants at no extra cost. According to the laws of economics, he should weigh the advantages of selling 10 copies for $10 each or 1 copy for ... what was it $69? Sure, there's the issue of support and some overhead, yadda yadda. But remember that the seller doesn't have to be logical, reasonable or anything. He can choose not to play the game at all.

Then again there is the matter of value. If your time is worth $30/hour and you buy a product that will save you 100 hours a year, is $69 too much to pay? OTOH if you spend 68 days of your year watching television as the average American does, or 273 hours on NTLK, what is your time really worth?

So much to consider in this discussion!

cheer
Tom Swell

.