Re: [NTLK] eMate for my baby?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 04:35:59 EST

On Dec 16, 2006, at 3:46 AM, Sascha Segan wrote:

> Daniel, that's wonderful! I'm heading out to (the demon) eBay to
> buy my
> eMate today. Of course, if anyone on this list has one they're
> trying to get
> rid of ... :)

I am starting to like this idea more and more. My daughter is 3, my
son is 20mo., so this may actually be pretty interesting for both of
them as well.

On the software side, it would be great to find a language that would
work on other platforms as well (I believe NSBasic does, not sure
though). This would make the development more reasonable since there
are more possible contributers.

On the content side, don't expect a baby to even remotely comprehend
a letter shape. Their brain is set up to recognize faces, so they
find their parents. My three year old now starts to recognize two
letters out of the alphabet - so many more to go ;-). I suggest that
random patterns appear and disappear slowly, but as soon as the child
touches the screen or keyboard, those patterns start relating in
position to the touch or key.

If you guys are serious about this, I'd be happy to provide a simple
Wiki page on my server, and if we agree on things, set up a
sourceforge account and contribute some code (time permitting, of
course).

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/