Re: [NTLK] OMP Battery Cage, series, parallel or both?

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 10:18:51 EDT

Ian,

> I was just wondering if the batteries in the OMP's battery cage are
> series, parallel or both. It is most likely series but I just want to
> be sure so I get things right and not put my precious Newton at any
> risk.

Fully charged, parallel connected NiCds would be entertaining (for a
very short time) so they are all in series.

However, charging NiCds or NiMH cells in series is not such a good
plan, despite many vendors still doing it, so your custom cell holder
should be capable of having the cells replaced easily and charged in
a proper external charger.

NiMH will work fine in the OMP (much better than NiCd) as long as you
don't try and charge them internally.

Point us to some pics of your finished holder.

I am imagining one carved from a solid block of violet perspex or
better yet from a puzzle of machined Aluminium that also makes the
contacts while not shorting anything else.

Joel.