Re: [NTLK] Formatting & Erasing Linear Flash Cards

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 23:49:17 EDT

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:32 PM, James Wages <james@kiramek.com> wrote:
Hey James,

> Now, I am a bit confused by what you wrote in your first paragraph. You
> are basically saying that it is impossible for a Mac or PC to format any
> linear card and have it work in the Newton.

YES, a Mac or PC can NOT format a Linear Flash Card to work with a Newton.
The Mac or PC with special software can do a bit copy and write but can not
format in a Newton compatible format...
Much like an exact photocopy which is a primitive description.

 If that is so, then that would mean all Linear cards would have had to be
> especially formatted for the Apple Newton, otherwise they would not work.

YES, it would only require a Newton to format the card.
This is because the Newton storage format is unique.
And it would have to be one with the same NOS as the NOS developed from NOS
1.0 - 2.0 then to 2.1 each step up there was a change and ir could be
backward readable but not writeable...

I do hope my explanation is clear and correct.

It could be that there is some corruption in the data that is preventing the
card fro being readable. When copied and re-written down to the card is
still present.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung