Re: [NTLK] How do you use your Newton?

From: Tony Morrow <gizmo1482_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 10 2008 - 12:17:12 EDT

NAME: Tony Morrow
AGE: 22
OCCUPATION: Recent college graduate and currently job searching in
Kentucky
LOCATION: Kentucky, USA
NEWTON COLLECTION: MP2100

MY NEWTON STORY: I really don't know what turned me on to the newton
back in 2004, but at the end of January 05 I found myself winning an
eBay auction for an upgraded MP2000 with power adapter. Maybe I'm a
sucker for Apple nostalgia. In 2005 I bought a G4 PowerMac knowing
good and well the Intel machines were on their way. My Newton arrived
in pristine condition with the only problem of the battery not
holding a charge. After reading many newton centered websites I took
it upon myself to replace the cells in the battery pack by following
Frank Gruendel's instructions. While my work wasn't the greatest, it
did get my Newton un-tethered from the power adapter. Eventually I
would almost destroy the pack and ended up purchasing a converted
battery tray from Sonny Hung. Over the course of spring 05 I
purchased SER-001 board from J&K Sales, Keyspan adapter from
PriceGrabber.com and finally a 3Com wireless card from eBay. With all
that I was able to get my Newton connected to the world.

HOW I USE MY NEWTON:
This may be the part of the story that breaks people's hearts.
Despite trying over the past few years, I have never really managed
to incorporate the Newton into my daily life. Maybe I just haven't
found the right combination of apps to complement how I work. So my
Newton I become a tool for fun. I pull it out weekly and try to do
some obscure task on it. Recently I helping figure out how to use the
LPR printer driver with ink text. Other times I've played with the
newtendo app, navigated large websites with Newtscape and Courier,
figured out how to transfer information between Newton and Mac, and
recently tried to setup a terminal connection from my Newton to
PowerBook. All in the name of just trying. Maybe as my life
transitions from school to career, the Newton will become a more
valuable tool, but for now Its just fun to have.