Re: [NTLK] Free your GPS

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 07:11:52 PDT

>When I move onto the second (of the pair) of Hiking Newtons, I would be
>definitely be interested in doing something different. I'd like to try
>to design something in black, a little shorter, reducing the extra
>cabling, possibly small enough to allow me to put the RS-232 tester
>(back) in-line and to add the blinky lights (back) into the see-through

While Adriano's add-ons are welcome to see, don't forget about the
neat Haicom 12-channel, WAAS-capable CF card-format GPS solutions.
See:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=108680916800770&w=2

One of these in the Newton with a CF adapter is a nice compact
package, and all the GPS softwares that can do NMEA can talk to it
(and Daniel Padilla made a patch for Teletype to access the internal
serial pot, so you can use some premade street maps with it- well, US
Highway maps exist anyway). I use it a lot with FieldWorker for
science stuff, GPSLite and TeletypeGPS for route logging/navigation.

$100 for 12-channel GPS, that plugs into your Newt with no wires, and
can run for many hours non-stop (I've used it for 5 hrs straight)
with the regular Newton external battery pack clipped to your belt is
I think still a very good deal. Handheld GPS w/ display and 12
channels still run about $300-350 entry level last I looked, and the
Bluetooth 12 channel screenless ons (for Palms etc) are $199
(SocketGPS is what I've seen in use).

Brian