[NTLK] Jobs, Skully, Apple II, and Newton...

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 13:21:43 EST

So -- can anyone fill me in on more details on what went on between Jobs,
Skully, the Apple II line, and the Newton. I mean, my impression has been
that Skully killed Jobs' pet project and, in return, Jobs eventually killed
Skully's Newton. Is that just old rumor -- or any truth to it?

Was the Newton line hurting financially by that time? I mean, did Jobs think
he was making good financial decisions, do you think? Or was Jobs ego just
getting back at Skully in a spiteful way?

Did the Newton "fail" because of high Palm sales in 1996 (I believe they sold
like 350,000 of them the first year)? Or was the line canceled when still
going strong financially?

Also -- was the decision to kill the Newton pretty much Jobs' alone? Or did
he have to talk a Board of Directors into it? I mean, I see people blame Jobs
for the death of the Newton -- I just want to know if that is fair -- or if
there is more to the story...

Anyone more involved and/or knowledgeable want to fill me in on the gory
details?

 - John...